- Mayor of Detroit
- Con to the question "Should Adults Have the Right to Carry a Concealed Handgun?"
“The argument that more guns makes us safer is made by Professor John Lott, who usually doesn’t mention that his work is paid for by the Olin Foundation, the Olin Co. being the manufacturer of Winchester ammunition.
Lott’s argument that more guns has reduced crime in other states is absurd. Crime has gone down everywhere in the last decade with the growth in the economy, but it has dropped twice as fast in states that turned down this legislation, including Michigan.
Police chiefs, prosecutors and nearly all law enforcement organizations are united in fighting this legislation [which requires Michigan gun boards to issue concealed gun permits to residents] because of the disturbing experiences in other states. In Texas, state police reports show that more than 3,000 crimes have been committed by concealed weapon permit holders in the four years the law has been in effect, including murder, rape, child pornography and more than 500 assaults.”
“Repeal Evil Legislation That Allows More Handguns and Crime on Streets,” Detroit News, Jan. 14, 2001
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Mayor of Detroit, Jan. 1, 2014 – present
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Karmanos Cancer Institute
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Detroit Economic Club
- Testified before Michigan Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Community Health, 2006
- Former President and CEO, Detroit Medical Center
- Wayne County Prosecutor, 2001-2003
- Delegate, Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1996
- Deputy Wayne County Executive, 1987-2001
- JD, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
- BA, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
- Legal name is Michael E. Duggan
- Donated between $2,500 and $4,999 to the University of Michigan Athletic Dept. between July 1, 2009 and June 15, 2010
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Adults Have the Right to Carry a Concealed Handgun?