- Former US Representative (R-FL)
- Pro to the question "Should Adults Have the Right to Carry a Concealed Handgun?"
“The right to bear arms is more than a Constitutional right: every human being has the natural unalienable right to self-defense… Right to carry laws respect the right to self-defense by allowing individuals to carry concealed firearms for their own protection.
So many liberal politicians and self-appointed experts want to keep honest Americans from having access to firearms, even though, since 2003, in states which allow concealed carry, violent crime rates have been lower than anytime since the mid-1970s. The reverse logic of this ‘knee jerk’ reaction is astounding and has lead to an outright assault on our basic Constitutional and natural rights. These misguided policies to keep firearms out of the hands of law-abiding citizens literally mean a death sentence for thousands of Americans…
Allowing law-abiding people to arm themselves offers more than piece of mind for those individuals – it pays off for everybody through lower crime rates…
In 1987, my home state of Florida enacted a ‘shall issue’ law that has become the model for other states. Anti-gun groups, politicians and the news media predicted the new law would lead to vigilante justice and ‘Wild West’ shootouts on every corner.
But since adopting a concealed carry law Florida’s total violent crime rate has dropped 32% and its homicide rate has dropped 58%. Floridians, except for criminals, are safer due to this law.”
“Concealed Carry Permits Are Life Savers,” www.humanevents.com, Jan. 26, 2009
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- US Representative (R-FL), 1989 – Jan.3, 2013
- Recipient, Taxpayer Hero Award, Council for Citizens Against Government Waste, 2009-2010
- Chairman, Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection Subcommittee, 2001-2007
- Vice Chairman, Veterans Health Subcommittee, 2000, 2001, and 2005-present
- Recipient, Charles Dick Medal of Merit, National Guard Association of the United States, 1998
- Chairman, Veterans Health Subcommittee, 1997 to 2000
- Recipient, Jefferson Award, International Food Distributors Association, 1992-2010
- Recipient, Golden Bulldog Award, Watchdogs of the Treasury, 1989-2000
- Captain, Aerospace Engineer, US Air Force, 1963-1967
- Recipient, Distinguished Military Graduate, Air Force ROTC, George Washington University
- Member, Gamma Beta Chapter, Theta Tau, George Washington University
- Former President, Kiwanis Club
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Boys & Girls Club
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Ocala Chamber of Commerce
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Munroe Regional Hospital
- BS, Electrical Engineering, George Washington University, 1963
- Graduated Woodrow Wilson High School, 1959
- Contact Info:
- None found
- None found
- None found
- Legal name is Clifford Bundy Stearns, Sr.
- Born Apr. 14, 1941 in Washington, DC
- Lives in Ocala, FL with his wife Joan
- Has five children: Doug, Bundy, Scott, Emily, and Amy
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Adults Have the Right to Carry a Concealed Handgun?